fredag, oktober 26, 2007

Language training

Miriam in Thailand says:

Sawatdee ka, Sabai dee mai? Khon chuu aray kha?"Hello, how are you? What's your name?" That is the conversation I have with our Thai teachers every morning. After that we sing a children song in Thai.We are learning and learning, and slowly some words are creeping into my brain. I now know the words to tell the Tuk tuk-driver(almost like a Taxi) where we are going. Wheter he understands me or not is another matter. The pronunciation of Thai is really difficult. Most of the time in class is used to repeat the words until we say them right.I am really glad we learn about things we need to know. Today we learned about poop and how to say that you are going to change diapers. Our teachers are not that good in English. We had a lot of fun when she tried to show us the meaning og the word poop. We also have a long list of other things it is wise to know when we are going to work with children. For example we learned to say sit down, stand up, be quiet, do you need to go to the toilet and have you washed your hands. I really hope and think I can use what I learn here.


Inki in Madagascar says:

Learning Malagasy is one interesting event. As my 5th language to learn, I must say that this seems like the one with the least variety of words. I mean, when almost every word starts with m, you’ve got to get confused. Mamy, mamo, mipetraka, manao, manasa, mianatra, mihinana, mahay, malala… Get one letter wrong, and you’ve got a totally different word. Today I really laid an egg. That’s at least what I told the housekeeper. “I’m pregnant, that’s why I didn’t eat all the potatoes.” Great. What I really meant was that I was full. Be voky and voky be are the same words just in the different order. Structure and place of the stress means everything in this idiom. The creativity of the people who formed this language can’t really be the best.Take the word because as an example. In Malagasy you can say it in 4 different ways, and have a look at the possibilities: fa, nefa, anefa, kanefa… I don’t think I have to tell you that we sometimes get confused and roar with laughter from time to time.

Ingen kommentarer: